- Dinosaur Train– The dates and terms in this show are exactly what they are – not “dumbed down” for kids, they call each period exactly what it is, whether Protozoic period or Cretaceous. Children are taught the names and functions of dinosaurs and they learn life lessons – like how to include people that feel left out – in every episode as well. The animation is bright colored and the stories are fast paced.
- Sesame Street- A classic! Sesame Street has been educating children for over 20 years. They have changed things around but are just as good now as they were when I watched them. Their small clips throughout the show keep even the shortest attention spans and they teach everything from number recognition, to early reading and problem solving.
- Word World– Reading begins with letter recognition and this show uses animation to put letters together into words and those words turn into the item they are. For example, the word ball is animated and looks just like a ball! This teaches early reading by showing children that letters form words and kids can associate what the word looks like with what it is describing.
- Super Why– Word World and Sesame Street are better for younger children and Super Why is excellent for preschool and kindergarten age. It teaches early reading – they build words and go through a story, even changing a story’s ending. In addition to the reading skills it teaches, children are exposed to valuable lessons and problem solving.
- Handy Manny- Knowing Spanish is a skill that is highly sought after in jobs and this will continue when today’s children enter the work force in the future. Handy Manny succeeds at teaching Spanish and English, it is just as loved for the bi-lingual nature as Dora the Explorer. In addition to Spanish words and phrases, Handy Manny teaches problem solving and life lessons.
What are your favorite educational television shows for children?
About the Author:
Annie blogs at her Kansas Mom Blog MamaDweeb.com. She writes about cloth diapering, babywearing, breastfeeding and life with her 3 children 4 yrs old and under.