- Step 1: To make a lid, draw a circle or a hexagon at least 5 inches in diameter around the pumpkin’s stem. Cut out the lid at an angle (so that the outside edge is larger than the inside) to keep it from slipping inside. For a carvin tool, we recommend a pumpkin saw. Those using knives ashould carve gently and steadily. (TIP* Don’t slide the knife all the way out of the pumpkin)
- Step 2. When the lid is free, scrape it clean of seeds and pulp with a large metal spoon or an ice cream scoop. Instead of removing the top, you may choose to remove a section from the bottom or side of the pumpkin. (This works well for unstable or small pumpkins, or for certain designs.)
- Step. 3 Scrape until you’ve had enough ot until the wall is 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick. (stop before you compromise the strength of the walls.)
- Step 4. At the base, flatten a spot for the candle. (again don’t make it too thin, or the bottom will rot.)
- Step 5. There are 2 ways to transfer your design onto the pumpkin 1 is to copy it freehand on a clean, dry pumpkin with a water based marker (mistakes can be corrected by a paper towel) The other is to tape your pattern or template to the pumpkin then score the design into the skin by poking holes though the pattern with a nail or plastic poking took. (available in pumpkin carving kits)
- Step 6. The black portion of the image is the part of the pumpkin that you;l be cutting out and removing. Carve by starting at the center of your design and working outward. (this avoids putting pressure on areas already carved) Begin with the innermost and smallest features. Eyes before eyebrows for instance. Try to carve the inside lines of each feature before outside line. If your using a knife, run it over each line a few times rather than pushing all the way through. Don’t cut all the way to the end of a line on a first cut. As each shape loosens up. gently push it out of the pumpkin with a finger or dull pencil (great job for kids) Larger shapes, such as grins may have to be removed in pieces.
- Step 7. Place a candle inside your pumpkin. (votives are more stable than tapers) Light the candle and put the lid on.
***Disclosure: I attended #DisneyMoviesEvent . My flight, lodgings, and expenses were covered by Disney. All opinions are 100% mine. Pictures above provided by Disney***