The holidays are just around the corner, which means it’s time to break out the roasting pans and make an extra trip (or two) to the baking aisle. Fisher Nuts is teaming up with Food Network Chef Alex Guarnaschelli, a regular judge on Chopped, to make your holiday cooking a bit easier and offer you some simple twists for cooking with nuts during the holidays.
“The almonds are essential to this dish because they bring out the sweetness we don’t realize green beans have. Toasting the almonds also adds a richer flavor. If time permits, chill the green beans a little with the dressing and toss in the almonds at the last second so they retain their crunch.” — Alex Guarnaschelli
Green Bean and Almond Salad
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Juice of ½ to a lemon
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon capers, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of brine (liquid) from the jar of capers
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound green beans, ends trimmed
- ½ cup Fisher® Slivered Almonds, lightly toasted
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and add the vegetable oil. Add the slivered almonds and stir them in the pan until they are golden brown.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Dijon mustard, lemon juice and Sherry vinegar. Add the capers, caper juice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Taste for seasoning. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot (enough to hold about 6 quarts of water) to a boil. Add salt until it tastes like mild seawater. How will you know? Take a little water with a spoon and taste a drop of it.
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a bowl large enough to hold the green beans with cold water. Add some ice cubes and put a colander in the middle of the bowl. Stir the green beans into the boiling water and allow them to cook, 2-3 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove them from the water, transferring them immediately to the colander inside the ice bath. Allow them to sit in the ice bath for a few minutes, swirling them gently in the water to assure they are all cooling in the cold water.
- Transfer the green beans to a kitchen towel spread on a flat surface and thoroughly dry them. Transfer them to a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and toss with the vinaigrette and the toasted almonds. Serve immediately.
Now onto the Giveaway!
Disclosure: I am working with Fisher to share Chef Alex Guarnaschelli’s recipes. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.