***Disclosure: Disclosure: This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS ™ blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them***
The SPLENDA® 365 Sweet Swaps™ Campaign is about making smart choices for healthy living! When creating recipes, we encourage healthier food choices. Why not replace added dietary sugar with America’s #1 no-calorie sweetener and make small, easy lifestyle changes that can lead to bigger changes over time. Did you know that experts recommend that women consume less than 6 teaspoons of added sugar daily, but the average American eats 22.2 teaspoons!
Just about anywhere you love sugar, you’ll love SPLENDA No Calorie Sweetener! The SPLENDA Brand is dishing out 365 ways to swap sugar for SPLENDA Sweetener Products. Make sure you take a minute to check out www.365SweetSwaps.com for tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar all year long!
So I made a smart and delicious choice to reduce the added sugar and calories in this recipe!
Southwest Citrus Salsa Recipe
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 4 roma tomatoes
- 2 large oranges, peeled and diced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Bring small saucepan of water to a boil. Blanch tomatoes for 30 seconds, and then rinse with cold water. Peel and chop tomatoes.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until mixed thoroughly. Allow to stand at room temperature for one hour. Mix and serve. Refrigerate any unused salsa.
- Serve Citrus Salsa with baked tortilla chips or on top of grilled chicken or fish.*Conversion to packets: You may also substitute 3 packets SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener
The Southwest Citrus Salsa was a hit with the entire family! Even my picky son tried it and enjoyed it. It was a great tangy salsa that was different with a little spice added. We used it as a regular salsa with tortilla chips, but this would also be excellent over a baked chicken.
No one in the family even realized I swapped the sugar with Splenda. We have been switching over all our added sugar to Splenda and the kids have not complained once. From ceral in the morning to drinks and in recipes this change is good for us all and it’s super easy to do.