Wild About Wildlife?
Experience the park’s behind-the-scenes tales and “tails” as you tour the facilities where we care for our animals.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom park is a lushly landscaped oasis that’s home to more than 1,500 animals representing 250 species. During the Backstage Tales tour, you’ll learn all about the unique challenges involved in helping them thrive as you:
- Explore backstage animal-housing areas.
- Visit the Animal Nutrition Center and see how over 4 tons of food are prepared and distributed each day.
- Tour the state-of-the-art veterinary hospital, where you may even witness animals being treated.
- Stop by the Animal Programs Administration building and learn how Disney promotes global wildlife conservation and animal well-being.
And remember: A portion of the tour proceeds is donated to the Disney Worldwide Conservation Fund.
We stepped behind the curtain at Animal Kingdom and it was so much fun! the only thing is I wish we had a photographer to capture some of the images or was able to take photo ourselves. We got to see a few animals in their homes or “barns” as they are called. The barns are quite spacious and full of fun enrichment activities for the animals to earn their food so they don’t get bored.
We also stopped by the Veterinary Hospital. When you go to Rafiki’s Island you get a view from one side, but with Backstage Takes you actually go INTO the Vet. Hospital. We saw a wee little birdie getting her blood drawn. They also showed us different sized ENT tubes for all the animals and WHOA the one they use for an elephant was major. They actually make a lot of these types of things themselves.
The Animal Nutrition Center was neat! Did you know that more than 3 tons of food are served each day! We observed how they personalize each meal to each animal. The entire process was very fascinating and something to do if you’ve feel like you’ve done everything there is to do at Animal Kingdom OR if you have someone in the family who wants to work with animals. You even come away with a cute gift!
Know Before You Go
View important information including Guest restrictions, recommended attire and cancellation policies.
- The majority of this tour takes place in facilities located behind the scenes. While there may be an opportunity for animal interaction, it is not guaranteed.
- Please keep in mind that this is an outdoor tour. Be sure to check the weather forecast and dress appropriately, including wearing comfortable shoes. Since it can get extremely hot during the summer months, you may also want to bring your own water.
- No cameras, video equipment or cell phones may be used while backstage. However, photography is allowed and encouraged in non-backstage areas.
- Guests under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a participating adult (18 years of age or older).
- Guests must be 12 years of age or older to participate.
- Please check in at the Main Entrance of Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park 15 minutes prior to the start of your tour.
- Tour itinerary, content, duration and availability are subject to change without notice.
- Please note: You will forfeit the entire price of your tour if you no-show or cancel within 2 days of your reservation.
REMEMBER Monkey Kingdom is IN THEATERS NOW!
Just in time for Earth Day grab the family AND help save the monkeys!
***Disclosure: I attended #MonkeyKingdomEvent . My flight, lodgings, and expenses were covered by Disney. All opinions are 100% mine.***