Raise your hand if you are wanting to know more about behind the screen for the upcoming PIXAR film Inside Out? Let’s chat about lighting first. I learned a LOT about lighting for this film and it’s actually something I had never thought about a lot. I mean yes, when taking a picture, you automatically go for better lighting right? I just didn’t think they had something like this for animation. Here are a few fun facts I found out during #InsideOutEvent from Lighting Artist Angelique Reisch.
- Sunset lighting makes a scene more romantic or melancholy
- Adding beautiful dramatic lighting can bring a scene to life
- With a shot being only a few seconds it’s lighting’s job to draw the eye to the point if the shot with lighting
- Lighting can bring depth and emotion to a scene
- Lighting goes back and forth with the Director of Photography a few times a week to get approval
In fact after the presentation I tweeted this:
After learning all about lighting I'm convinced I need a Glam Squad Light Crew to follow me around to make me look good #InsideOutEvent
— kasandria (@SBellasWays) March 31, 2015
It’s the little things that when pointed out always make me go “Ohhhhh! I get it” Another thing I wanted to share with you today was camera angles. Which again, in an animation film, you may be scratching your head. Director of Photography Patrick Lin shared these nuggets of wisdom:
- In the film Riley is in the middle of mist shots to convey she is the center of their world
- They tested out different lenses to see distortion differences for the visual language
- The “virtual” camera is mathematically true to an actual camera for each shot
Make sure you highlighted June 19th of this year so you can see travel inside the mind of INSIDE OUT IN Theaters! PLUS Follow all the action for even MORE upcoming PIXAR Behind The Scenes News during the #InsideOutEvent which I’ll be sharing with you soon!
***Disclosure: I attended #InsideOutEvent My flight, lodgings, and expenses were covered by Disney All opinions are 100% mine. ***