***Disclosure: I received a Kindle Paperwhite to review.All opinions are 100% my own. ***
Every day an Amazon package arrive it’s like my birthday and Christmas and everything rolled into one. This particular box I had been waiting not so patiently for about a week. You see, as I’ve confessed before I have a *wee* bit of a reading problem. I would rather read than do most anything. In fact, I’ve been challenging myself to read 100 books this year and already have read over 16,385 pages so far for the year. Years ago I transitioned from actual book to a reading on a device. Now I have a system where if I read a book twice I’ll go ahead and buy it for the bookshelf. My digital bookshelf, however, is a thing of beauty. Once I let go and went Kindle App I went wild. I mean THIS was it! 3am and I needed the next book in a series? Click! Reading one book and I need to quickly got back to the third book in a series to refresh myself. Click! I used the Kindle App on numerous devices: Kindle Fire, Iphone6, ipad, Macbook, imac. It was seamless and made me happy. I had recently looked at all the different versions of Kindles out and fell in love with the Paperwhite. THIS was made for readers like me! I needed this version like white on rice. So back to my beautiful box with Amazon plastered in that familiar font.
Isn’t it beautiful? Now, let’s dive into the features that make All-New Kindle Paperwhite: My New Favorite Reading Source.
Top New Features
- Highest resolution e-reader display: New—With twice as many pixels as the previous generation, the all-new Kindle Paperwhite has an improved high-resolution 300 ppi display for crisp, laser quality text. No other e-reader offers a higher resolution display. When I first turned it on I could see the difference in the display. You almost can’t explain it till you see it. With other screens video is key. Here it is words and the way the words are so crisp and clean it’s magical.
- No glare in bright sunlight: Unlike reflective tablet and smartphone screens, Kindle Paperwhite reads like paper. We’ve all been there. Sitting outside in the sun and the glare is unbearable. You can’t slide into the story because you are constantly turning and twisting your device to get rid of the glare.
- Read comfortably with one hand: Lighter than a paperback, comfortably hold Kindle Paperwhite in one hand for those times when you can’t put the book down. I’m a multitasker. This is great for me. I can be doing laundry and catching up on the next chapter at the same time. Count me in!
- Charge monthly, not daily: Kindle Paperwhite won’t leave you tethered to an outlet. A single charge can last up to six weeks (based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless turned off and the light setting at ten). Ummmm, say what? A longer lasting battery? Yep, in l-o-v-e. Now, personally I read more than half an hour a day, I’ve still been impressed with the battery life. I’ve been having to charge up about once a week so far.
- Won’t tire your eyes in the dark: Kindle Paperwhite guides light toward the surface of the display with its built-in front light—unlike back-lit tablets that shine in your eyes—so you can read comfortably for hours without eyestrain. Adjust your screen’s brightness for great reading in any light. Great feature that actually works. I have terrible eyesight and read at about a 9 setting at night. It does not hurt my eyes AND it doesn’t wake up the husband which is a bonus.
- Next-generation reading experience: New—The all-new Kindle Paperwhite now offers Bookerly, an exclusive font crafted from the ground up for reading on digital screens. Warm and contemporary, Bookerly is inspired by the artistry of the best fonts in modern print books, but is hand-crafted for great readability at any font size. Only Amazon would create a font that promotes easy reading. It’s my new setting!
- New—All-new typesetting engine lays out words just as the author intended for beautiful rendering of pages. With improved character spacing and the addition of hyphenation, justification, kerning, ligatures, and drop cap support, our best-in-class typography helps you read faster with less eyestrain. Enjoy reading with larger font sizes without compromising your reading experience. Page layout and margins automatically adapt to work well at even the largest font sizes. The new typography and layout improvements are available on over half a million books, including many best sellers, with thousands more being added every week.
Lose yourself in a book
By design, Kindle Paperwhite is purpose-built for reading and creates a sanctuary so you can lose yourself in a book. Unlike tablets and phones, Kindle doesn’t distract you with social media, emails, and text messages. Which a little slice of heaven for me. I read to escape and as a blogger I live online. I have to check social media daily, etc. So the fact that I can disappear into a world cultivated by my favorite authors is a win/win for me. Bye Kindle App! Hello Kindle Paperwhite!
That’s not all!
Not only does Paperwhite go back to the basics making the device harken back to what we all love about reading, but it ups the technology to make your reading experience even better!
- Look it up instantly without leaving your page: Smart Lookup integrates entries from The New Oxford American Dictionary with information from X-Ray and Wikipedia, so you can access definitions, characters, settings, and more without losing your place. PLUS, you can even click a word for the definition even if you are offline and in airplane mode!
- Read more challenging books: Word Wise makes it easier to enjoy and quickly understand more challenging books. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading with fewer interruptions. Tap on a word to bring up a simple card with definitions, synonyms, and more. Available on many popular English language titles.
- Build your vocabulary: Words looked up in the dictionary are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder to expand your knowledge and reinforce retention. Swipe through your vocabulary words, quiz yourself with flashcards, and instantly see those words in context. This feature alone makes me want to buy it for the kiddos. The Paperwhite helps you expand your vocabulary easily which makes it fun in the process. I know both of the kids would like this feature. (Kids are 11, and 14)
- Pick up where you left off: Whispersync technology synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations across all your devices so you can pick up exactly where you left off reading. This was my favorite feature while using the Kindle Reading App. Every single device on the same page.
- Learn more about a book before you start reading: With About This Book, see background information about the author, other books in the series, and more. This is fun because we all get to that point where we are stuck trying to find the next book to read. A place to find it before you even finish what you are currently reading!
- Share your library: With Family Library, you and your family can access and easily share not only your own Kindle books, but also books from the linked Amazon account of a spouse or partner. In a house of readers this comes in handy quite often. Especially with a sister who lives an hour away that likes the same books I do.
- Share with friends on Goodreads: With Goodreads on Kindle, you can connect with the largest online community of book lovers, see what your friends are reading, share highlights, and rate the books you read. Some Goodreads on Kindle features are only available when connected to Wi-Fi.
- X-Ray lets you explore the “Bones of the Book”: See all the passages across a book that mention relevant ideas, fictional characters, historical figures, places, or topics of interest. The X-Ray timeline view lets you easily flip through notable passages to remind yourself of what’s happened in the book, or navigate easily through images.
- Know how long it will take to finish that last chapter: Time to Read is personalized based on your reading speed, and is constantly updated as your speed and habits change. At a glance you’ll know how much time it will take to finish a chapter or book. Another of my favorite features. When I’m trying to sneak one more chapter in I can see how much longer I need.
The All-New Kindle Paperwhite is My New Favorite Reading Source. Hands Down! #1. I will accept no subsitutes. With Back To School gearing up buy one for the kiddo in your family. It really is good for all ages. I plan on buying both my teen and tween one as well stocking up for Christmas for my niece and nephews. Even my husband wants one. For only $119 the All-New Kindle Paperwhite, isn’t as expensive as other reading devices either! So hop on over to Amazon now!