Chicken dishes are the perfect in-a-pinch dinner option – with so much versatility and recipe options, chicken can be cooked and served in a flash – however, the same chicken dishes can become bland and boring after a while. In honor of September’s National Chicken Month, bistroMD has put together healthy, unique chicken recipes for readers! This recipe shows south of the border flavors in the chicken burrito bowl, bistroMD adds a healthy spin on traditional favorites for everyone to enjoy guilt-free.
For the Chicken:
- 4, 4 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Any other of your favorite spices to season (optional)
Red Burrito Sauce:
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon corn oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon masa flour
- 1/2 cup low sodium, chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ears fresh corn OR 1 can (15 oz.) reduced sodium, organic corn kernels, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup bell pepper, any color(s), diced
- 1 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Jalapeno or other hot pepper, diced (optional)
- Garnish (optional)
- Reduced-fat Cheddar Cheese
- Chopped Cilantro
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Season chicken lightly on both sides with sea salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin or any other spices you prefer.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake approximately 20 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Allow to cool, and then shred the chicken with a fork.
- Red Burrito Sauce:
- In a medium skillet, heat the corn oil and unsalted butter over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and jalapeno and saute until onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the masa flour and whisk together. Allow to cook 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the chicken broth; constantly whisk to ensure no clumps of flour.
- Adjust heat to medium-low. Add tomato sauce, granulated garlic, lime juice, chili powder, paprika, oregano and pinch of sea salt. Stir together, cover, and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Burrito Bowl:
- While the sauce is simmering, add lime juice and fresh chopped cilantro to the cooked brown rice and blend together.
- Add the blacked beans, corn, bell pepper, tomato, cumin, garlic and jalapeno to a medium sized bowl and mix.
- Divide the rice into 4 portions. Divide the black bean and corn mixture into 4 portions.
- Add a layer of ¼ of the rice to a bowl, top with ¼ of the bean and corn mixture. Add a shredded chicken breast and drizzle approximately ¼ cup of red burrito sauce over the entire dish.
- If desired, add 1 tablespoon of shredded, reduced fat cheddar cheese and garnish with fresh cilantro.
***Disclosure: BistroMD provided the recipe. ***