The Chicago Auto Show blew into town on a cold wind yet again this year and was bigger and badder than ever. LOTS of great new vehicles and brands were in attendance. I covered it for the 5th year in a row and here are my top 3 vehicles from the show:
#3. Lexus LC500h Hybrid
Taking center stage in Lexus’ Chicago exhibit, the fifth-generation LS boasts visionary technology and a bold new look with a coupe-like silhouette that does not compromise interior roominess. A new driver-centric performance feel comes from building the LS on the company’s all-new global architecture for luxury vehicles (GA–L)—shared with the LC performance coupe—which delivers a more dynamic experience on the road. The interior has a Japanese aesthetic with signature touches, such as beautiful interior ambient lighting inspired by Japanese lanterns, armrests that appear to float next to the door panel and an artistic combination of natural woodwork and application of Japan’s sophisticated sliced wood and laser cutting manufacturing technologies inspired by Shimamoku wood patterns. The all-new 2018 Lexus LS 500 was named 2017 EyesOn Design Award for Design Excellence – Interior Design at the 2017 North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit.
A Lexus that is both stylish and a hybrid? Count me in! A “Daring exterior that gives way to a dynamic interior”. It was the sporty car that blew me away in Chicago.
#2. Honda 2018 Odyssey
— kasandria (@SBellasWays) February 9, 2017
While Lexus delivered a great sports vehicle Honda came through with a family vehicle. The features in this van was what spoke to me:
In-vehicle connectivity is taken to a whole new “family connectivity” concept. Old-fashioned family connectivity – sometimes called a conversation – is made easier than ever with the quietest cabin in the class, and is augmented with a multitude of new connected-vehicle features and technologies, including:
- New Display Audio – featuring a new Honda-developed operating system, more intuitive menus and customizable app tiles, this 8-inch high-resolution (720P) touchscreen interface serves as the nerve center for a multitude of new audio and telematics options, including Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility, and adds a physical volume knob for improved usability.
- System updates – users can download available updates to the Display Audio operating system and rear entertainment system at their convenience via 4G LTE, Wi-Fi, or USB.
- CabinWatch – using a camera, CabinWatch lets the driver and front passenger keep tabs on passengers both day and night via the 8-inch Display Audio screen.
- CabinTalk – enables the driver to talk to second – and third-row passengers though the second-and third-row speakers and rear entertainment system headphones.
Connected Rear Entertainment System – second- and third-row passengers can enjoy streaming video on the ceiling-mounted, 10.2-inch WSVGA Rear Entertainment System, including PBS Kids, iHeart Radio, Spotify and more, through the available in-vehicle 4G LTE Wi-Fi, public Wi-Fi or user’s cellphone data plan. A new “How Much Farther?” app lets passengers track the family’s trip progress.
- CabinControl – using a downloadable app, users can use a smart phone to control the rear entertainment system, rear cabin heat and air conditioning, and send destinations to the embedded Honda navigation system.
- Social Play List – part of CabinControl, Social Playlist operates like a virtual jukebox, allowing up to seven family members to upload their music choices to the audio system via their smartphones.
Cabin quietness is enabled by new features and technologies including triple door seals, available acoustic front and side glass, and increased use of sound deadening materials under the floor, in the engine compartment and under the fenders, along with standard Active Sound Control technology.
#1. Kia Niro
— kasandria (@SBellasWays) February 12, 2017
Kia came through with #1 vehicle. The Sexy Stinger that tops out at 167mph, features AWD, 19in wheels, and the latest autonomous assistances hit #1 out of my Top 3 of the show. Why? Kia brought together my love for a sports car and my family will love it as well.
A five-passenger fastback sports sedan poised to redefine a segment currently populated by European automakers, the Stinger promises to be the highest-performance production vehicle in the company’s history and is backed by Kia Motors’ industry-leading quality and reliability. Offered with multiple engine and drivetrain configurations and luxurious accommodations, the Stinger is planned to go on sale in the U.S. late this year.
Did you head to Chi-town for the Auto show? I’d love to hear what vehicles YOU loved? What did you think of my Top 3? Throughout the year I will bring you more info about these 3 vehicles. Any Auto Shows that you would love to see coverage from? Let us know! Until the next show, we are out!
***Disclosure: I attended the #CAS17 Chicago Auto Show. My lodgings, flights, and show ticket were covered by the auto show and Nissan. All opinions are 100% mine. ***